It feels like a very long time since I posted . It’s only about 3 weeks, but so much has happened in that time. So, where to begin…?
Have I mentioned that Hal is back having lessons? He’s doing brilliantly ! He is still having problems mounting and dismounting, but it’s definitely an improving situation. The problem is swinging his leg to clear the cantle . He can’t get his leg over so to speak.😉 His position is excellent though, and he’s really got the hang of rising trot now. He’s now trotting over poles and steering round obstacles while in trot😀
When we got married, a horsey friend of mine gave us a course of carriage driving lessons as a wedding present. Neither of us have done it since. However, since starting to ride, Hal has expressed an interest in trying it again. It just so happens that there is an equestrian centre not 5 miles from us that specialises in driving, so I bought a carriage driving taster day for his Birthday. It was a brilliant day, and we’ve both been bitten by the driving bug!
Unfortunately poor Old Magnum has been in the wars. We went to fetch Sapphire in to take her for a walk, and found Mag’s hopping around on 3 legs. It was 4 O’clock on a Monday afternoon and I was due to go to Oxford on Wednesday.. Panic! There was no obvious wound, no heat, no discharge , no swelling and no smell. Just one very lame horse.
Not really knowing what was going on, and, to be honest, being pretty clueless as to what to do, I decided to keep him in overnight and call the vet in the morning. Well, by the next morning his leg was red hot and so swollen that it was cylindrical !i kid you not.
The Vet was in two minds. Either Magnum had an infection called Cellulitis, or he had a fracture!😨 The big problem was that box rest was the order of the day, and Hal and I were off to Oxford for 2 days. Thankfully Amy stepped up to the plate.
When we got back it seemed that box rest, antibiotics and increased Bute was doing the trick. The Vet adviced 5 – 10 minutes walking in hand several times a day to see if the swelling would go down. This morphed into an hour or so on the back lawn, but the swelling came down beautifully just the the same! Until the antibiotic ended. Then it came straight back up!
Thankfully the Vet said Magnum could be turned out again. However, he put him on a different antibiotic, and here I hit a snag.i had to give a specific dose, which had to be measured from a packet of fine powder!😒 In an attempt to be helpful the vet did give me a thing that he had marked to the right level, but there was no way… So Hal has now taken over feed duties.
As it happens, having the horses incarcerated meant it was much easier to get the field rolled! I was just about to phone the hay man for some emergency hay, when he phoned me to arrange to look at our land with a view to rolling it. Result! He only did the big (top) field as the bottom field didn’t need doing. It meant dismantling the electric fencing though. What a pain in the neck that turned out to be!
While all this has eve goin on I’ve been back to the John Radcliffe in Oxford twice. The first time was for a pre-op assessment, and then last week I had the cataract removed from my right eye, and a replacement , artificial lens put in. It went very well as far as I can tell. I am now at home healing. Apart from the mega a out of eye drops I am having to give myself, 4 lots of antibiotics a day for 2 weeks and 4 lots of anti inflammatory drops a day for 4 weeks, there are lots of things I’m not allowed to do. These include getting any dirt, dust, or water in my eye. So no hair washing and no horse handling !😡